Inheritance

May 18, 2011 at 10:01 PM

Does HaterAide support class table inheritence? Say for instance you have a person table that stores some information, and then other tables (that represent subclasses in code) like employee , etc that point back to person for the basic information?

THanks!

Justin

Coordinator
May 19, 2011 at 1:05 PM

Sadly I have to say, not really. Not the way I would like it to anyway (I've run into this issue myself). At present it's really only useful for concrete classes. So you can sort of cheat and get it to work the way that you want, but it's not perfect. You would have to set up two database profiles, one for reading and one for writing. In the reading profile, you would build out the mappings for each of the concrete types and it would be possible to use the SelectStoredProcedure and SelectSQLText functions to load the data, but you wouldn't be able to save it. In the writing profile, you would have to build the mappings based on the inheritance model (and have separate concrete types that for each of them)... It wouldn't be pretty and would be a lot of work. I wouldn't recommend it basically.

That being said, I'm currently working on a rewrite that will take that into account, but that doesn't help you in the mean time (and it may be a little while as it's a surprisingly difficult issue, but I think I finally have it mapped out).

James Craig

May 19, 2011 at 1:52 PM

James

Thanks for your prompt response! I do believe you that this is a difficult undertaking and its really cool that you have it mapped out how its going to work. I think it will be a very powerful and useful piece of functionality. Good luck and hope it makes it way on here

Thanks

Justin